Please read this post before reading this to know about the interview process and it was written before the interview results were announced, so can find no bias in it. In this post, I will be answering some questions based on the previous statistics that I have collected.
- Your Interview will be scheduled at morning 8.00 AM but they can call you any time before 9.00 PM. I was called for the interview at around 7.10 PM and there were three more candidates left after me in Thiruvananthapuram. A male candidate was interviewed at around 9.00 PM in Delhi (another interview center). Don’t loose your energy/get tired by simply sitting. Often, they will provide refreshment, also you can interact with the other colleagues if you are that kind of a person. So, book your return ticket for the next day to be on the safer side. This is not applicable to the lady candidates as they are interviewed first.
- Will I be not selected if I am interviewed very late, as interviewers might already have selected the required candidates? Will they be less interested to interview me? Absolutely not. I was interviewed fourth from the last, still I got selected while having a good rank at the same time. Moreover, the next person sitting after me also ranked good and got selected. The interviewers are experienced enough to know our feeling when candidates are interviewed so late. Be cool/positive and don’t worry on this.
- What are the subjects to be prepared? Will they ask from our final year project? Every questions will be from your favorite subjects if you are lucky and if not, they will ask some questions beyond your comfort zone. There will be no HR questions. They will question your project if you passed out recently, say 2-3 years back. Its good to prepare the project, at least the technique or technology you have used in that.
- I got All-India Rank (AIR) < 23 in written test and the number of positions advertised are 23. Will I be selected for sure?. No. This year (2016) the top 5 rankers in the written test were not selected in the interview. Do prepare for the interview. See the attachment at the end for the proof of the same. There is an equal chance to get selected even for the last shortlisted candidate, so don’t skip the interview.
- I have no experience/passed out last year with no job. Is my probability of getting selected looks bleak?. No. Though I didn’t mention my experience/job, I was selected. I had no questions regarding the year I have a career gap in. You might be asked questions when you are unemployed more than a year. Stay prepared for that. I didn’t mention my experience/job because I don’t have any notable skill/experience acquired from my company because of various reasons.
- I am a girl candidate and selected for the interview. Will I be selected for the post as ISRO have mentioned that “Government strives to have a workforce which reflects gender balance and women candidates are encouraged to apply”?. Obviously women candidates slightly have an edge over their counterpart in the process. However, to be noted that it’s a rare event that you will be selected if you don’t perform well in the interview. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. For the male candidates, don’t ever think of this because this policies are not in our hand to be changed. Do your best and hope for the rest.
- Is scientist ‘SC’ not a permanent post in ISRO, because in their job advertisement they mention that: “The posts are temporary, but likely to continue“? As quoted by Dipanjan (worked in ISRO), it’s a permanent post with probation for initial few months. That’s why it’s written like that. Saying that, I have never seen/heard someone getting terminated during the probation. The notification is always phrased like that, using legal jargon. It will definitely be permanent barring special cases, e.g. one commits a crime etc.
- And regarding the documents, they will verify the documents (mark sheets, certificates…) before attending the interview. Be sure to bring all the original documents and attested copies that they mention in the call letter. They are strict/cautious in this process, for instance they even summed up the marks of my 10th, 12th standard mark sheets while the total marks was already written in the mark sheet by the issuing board :). Double check while filling up the online application form as they cross verify against it prior to the interview.
Below, I have attached all the documents/results for this year(all branches):